WHY BIBLE TEACHING?
The Bible has a lot to say about the importance of Teaching.
"TEACHING is a great part of the work of the church and of individual Christians. Teaching is a necessary thing and a necessary work of the church. There are so many things that have crept and continuing to creep into the church due to a lack or disregard for Bible teaching.
In order to address error in the church and the world is through the power of the Word of God. If we we want something in the church we must TEACH it in there and if we want something to be taken out of the church we must TEACH it out of there! There is a lot of things that need to be taught and in some cases re-taught today. In 2020 we will be aggressively sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Each Christian in this program will given 16 cards and the goal is to look for and connect with 16 people that are serious about studying the Bible. We are looking for people who are willing and desire to be TAUGHT the Word of God.
This Is Our Program Suggested Study Guide
Third Study -The importance of Bible Teaching
1. Do you attend a teaching church?
Read Hosea 4:6
Was teaching important in the Old Testament? What do we learn from Hosea 4:6?
Teaching was very important even in the Old Testament. What happens when people have a "lack of knowledge?"
If Bible knowledge is so critical to our survival as Christians what should our church Bible attendance look like? Do you attend Sunday morning and other scheduled Bible classes at your local congregation? If not why not? How often do you study your Bible on your own? A lack of Bible study in society and sad to say even in the Lord's church has lead to weak sermons (a bunch of talking and joking around with no Bible substance) and a need to be entertained in church.
As it was with the apostle Paul it is also our desire to see our brethren be saved. We bare them record that many of them are setting of churches with more services are geared to entertained the worshipers. Many of these "new" additions are not based on Bible knowledge but on the desire to satisfy the flesh (Romans 8: 5-8). What does this say when you see a church with a Sunday morning attendance of 2000 people in worship service and Sunday morning Bible Class attendance of 200? When only 1 out 10 people in any given church see the need to stay for Bible Class or attend Bible class this should alarm the whole church. Jesus said it this way, ""Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine?" Luke 17:17.
2. Do you still have a desire to learn?
Remember we have already discussed that the word disciple means learner or follower. We should be learning the will of God. We find admonition in the book of 2 Timothy to "study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth." A disciple is a learner so when they come to church building or go about their day they have a desire to learn. When you learn you are better able and prepared to teach others that desire to learn. What was the sermon on last Sunday? What was the Scripture Reading? What did you learn from the message?
3. Did you know that the Bible complimented those who study?
We see in the Bible that the Bereans were applauded for being of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the Word with all readiness of mind, and they search the Scriptures daily whether those things were so. Today wouldn't it be wonderful if people would have a desire and eagerness to search the Scriptures (Fact Check) to see if what people are saying about the Bible is in fact in the Bible.
What do you think would happen if more people would search the scriptures before just believing what people say?
4. Are you training up your children in the way they should go?
In the Old Testament and New Testament parents were admonished to teach their children. Parents are either going to prepare their children to follow Christ or to follow the world.
1. Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
2. Deuteronomy 6:5-9 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. Take to heart these words that I give you today. Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you’re at home or away, when you lie down or get up. Write them down, and tie them around your wrist, and wear them as headbands as a reminder. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.
3. Deuteronomy 4:9-10 “But watch out! Be careful never to forget what you yourself have seen. Do not let these memories escape from your mind as long as you live! And be sure to pass them on to your children and grandchildren. Never forget the day when you stood before the Lord your God at Mount Sinai, where he told me, Summon the people before me, and I will personally instruct them. Then they will learn to fear me as long as they live, and they will teach their children to fear me also.”
4. Matthew 19:13-15 One day some parents brought their children to Jesus so he could lay his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples scolded the parents for bothering him. But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.” And he placed his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left.
5. 1 Timothy 4:10-11 This is why we work hard and continue to struggle, for our hope is in the living God, who is the Savior of all people and particularly of all believers. Teach these things and insist that everyone learn them.
6. Deuteronomy 11:19 Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.
Discipline is a form of teaching your child.
7. Proverbs 23:13-14 Do not hesitate to discipline a child. If you spank him, he will not die. Spank him yourself, and you will save his soul from hell.
8. Proverbs 22:15 A child’s heart has a tendency to do wrong, but the rod of discipline removes it far away from him.
9. Proverbs 29:15 The rod and rebuke bestow wisdom, but an undisciplined child brings shame to his mother.
10. Proverbs 29:17 Discipline your child, and he will give you rest; he will bring you happiness.
11. Colossians 3:21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
12. Ephesians 6:4 Parents, do not anger your children, but rear them in the discipline and in the teaching of Our Lord.
You teach them by the way you conduct yourself. Be a good role model and don’t cause them to stumble.
It is estimated that we lose about 70% of our children to the world when we do not train up our children in the way that they SHOULD GO! One may train up a child and they still leave the church and go out into the world but like the Bible says many of them who were grounded and came from good Christian homes often return to the Lord at least when they are old. They never forgot what their Christian parent(s) taught them. So don't be so hard on yourself when your children are not as faithful as you reared them to be because God is not finished with them yet either. A prodigal son can still choose to come home especially if they have a loving home to come back to. TEACHING IS SERIOUS and IMPORTANT. What are you teaching your children? Ps. All that a child learns does not come from the Bible! Some teaching is going to come from what he or she see you DO!!
5. Did you know that Evangelist are to preach the Word of God?
The apostle Paul told Timothy to "Preach the Word, be instant in season, out of season, reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine."
Notice that the statement is made for Timothy (The Evangelist) to be instant! Boy do we need this admonition today! This means that we are to constantly and urgently be about the work of teaching and preaching God's Word. Our Evangelist must be men who study and know the Word of God. It becomes a major problem when the Preachers the same lessons over and over every week. If all he is preaching on is baptism and the church every other week he will soon lose his audience even though they may still show up every week. Do you get a variety of good sound bible lessons from where you attend church? An Evangelist means he not only preaches the Word of God but he also go out and reach souls outside the four walls of the building...he EVANGELIZES!! Any man that does not do this can be a hindrance to the work because he can not teach members to do what he is not doing.
6. What does it mean for Elders to feed the flock?
It is very important that we teach the church about the importance of Elders and what their role is. We have been congregations where the leadership was looking to select men to serve as Elders and many did not know what their roles was. People should know what Elders are whether you currently have them or not. The Elders are to oversee and feed the flock. They have many responsibilities and one is to make sure that the church remain sound in the doctrine of Christ. In order for this to happen they must work to make sure the church is getting sound and relevant lessons from the Evangelist and the membership as a whole are being disciples of Jesus Christ.
7. Did you know that without teaching we will perish?
1. The Bible teaches us that if we do not come to a knowledge of the truth we cannot be saved for it is the truth that makes men free. People come to realize that NO ONE can believe the gospel until they have heard it (Romans 10:17). We must study the Word of God and what to do to be saved and then do it. A disciple will continue to learn and grow in the grace of God. If we are not growing then we are dying! Let us give all diligence to make our calling and election sure by adding to our faith virtue , knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness and love.